Thursday, July 29, 2010

Course Assignments

From the two course assignments that were given, I liked the second assignment.

The Objective of the assignment was to be able to “locate, retrieve, organize,
analyze, synthesize, and communicate information of relevance to the subject matter of the course in an effective and efficient manner.” In order to do this we had to pick a social organization and find artifacts. It could be photos, slogans, articles,graphs, charts,basically anything the website uses.

Our group choose the American Red Cross. I had to analyze certain information on the website and then use our textbook to find different types of things. Like fallacies, concealed claims, and different types of reasoning within the information. Doing this I believe my analyzing or critical thinking skills have been getting better therefore making my writing better as well with giving important details and examples. Also, when your looking at a certain topic what to watch out for and how to present it as well.

2 comments:

  1. The second assignment dealt with more of organizations and make an impact rather than the first assignment, where it describes about an opinion article and explain why the person agree and disagree with the article. The American Red Cross is a wonderful company to do research to see any fallacies and claims and different reasoning they use to make their point across. I found, however, that the first assignment was more beneficial than the second assignment, where the first assignment required more research of the article than the company. When doing research for a company, it is difficult for myself to do a research to find fallacies or even claims for that particular company. I love how this comment is straight forward of what assignment is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I wrote about the second assignment as well. Like you mentioned in your observations, I found this assignment to be much more practical than the first assignment. In this assignment, we were required to research a topic and demonstrate their concealed claims and fallacies.
    In our fast paced world, we tend to believe what we read in our essays, but we never determine the motive of the organization or concealed claims that they might be making. I believe the tools and techniques we used in this assignment will be much more useful in our long path of school. It’s something we are bound to use: research and demonstration of information in an efficient manner.

    ReplyDelete