Friday, July 2, 2010

Compund claims

Another topic that was was explained in chapter 6 was a false dilemma.

A false dilemma is a bad use of excluding possibilities where the "or" claim is false or implausible. Sometimes just the dubious "or" claim itself is called a "false dilemma".

Either A or B is true. If A is true, B is therefore false. C is not an option.
The other person is offered a choice where rejecting one item acts as a selection of the other.

Here are some examples:

- Either you are with me or against me.

- We have to spend less on hospitals, otherwise we won't be able to afford education improvements.

This is based on the assumption that the choices offered are the only choices. By focusing on the choice, the decision to be made, the other person is distracted from the fact that there may be other alternatives. This is usually presented as two choices, although more may sometimes be used.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/false-dilemma/
(1) Either a Creator brought the universe into existence, or the universe came into existence out of nothing.
(2) The universe didn’t come into existence out of nothing (because nothing comes from nothing).
Therefore:
(3) A Creator brought the universe into existence.

The first premise of this argument presents a false dilemma; it might be thought that the universe neither was brought into existence by a Creator nor came into existence out of nothing, because it existed from eternity.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed how you posted a link on certain topics we have recently been learning and applied those concepts to the compund claims. That was a really good idea! I like how 1,2, and 3 showed the different claims being addressed, and how with 1 it is either that one way or the other then 2 and 3 go into detail act as the premise and explain the major claim.

    Your own examples in the beginning were good too because they were straight to the point and defined the topic well.
    It is also definitely true when you mentioned how there are usually two choice based off of an assumption however there can be more, depending on the circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the comment is explained above, I do agree with the idea of including a link in the blog to show how their are distinction of a logical fallacy. I also found it amusing when using 3 different statements to describe one idea about creation. I had never known that there are many different ways in saying the phrases with the same meaning.

    I also enjoying reading the definitions of compound claims. I find the examples of each of the claim to be true when explaining the phrase you are with me or against me. This statement shows that it is either one or the other but not both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This is a great blog! You not only give great examples you also gave a great definition about concealed claims and falsed dilemmas. The example I like the most that you used was the first one, "Either you are with me or against me". It is simple, easy to follow, and straight to the point. Either A or B, not both. Also the last example about a creator is also a good example because it shows that both A and B cannot coexist. The third example makes you think about it a little bit but its good. Great job with this assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love what you have done here posting outside links to help people understand more! This is great love how you have gone outside of our book and found things that can help explain things more and or better. I feel like this is something that you do really well you should think about becoming a teacher! And as Jinxx said I love the example you are either with me or without me is so great. I love that line when it comes up in movies and books! You did a good job giving multiple examples to each subject. You are great!

    ReplyDelete