An interesting topic in chapter 12 was reasoning by analogy.
Reasoning by analogy: A comparison becomes reasoning by analogy when it is part of an argument: On one side of the comparison we draw a conclusion, so on the other side we should conclude the same.
Reasoning by analogy starts with a comparison. But not every comparison is an argument.
For example: that I am thinking about buying a new car. I'm very likely to speak with other people who have recently bought new cars, noting their experiences with various makes, models, and dealers. If I discover that three of my friends have recently bought Geo Prizms from Burg and that all three have been delighted with their purchases, then I will conclude by analogy that if I buy a Geo Prizm from Burg, I will be delighted, too.
Analogy is a great way to teach. It is a good way to open people up to ideas that don't intuitively resonate.
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment