Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chapter 13

Misleading claims with number; this is yet another great topic. We witness this kind of stuff every where, from surveys, to different studies done, etc.

1.) A numerical comparison where it doesn't make sense to compare the items is called comparing apples and oranges.

2.) Two times zero is still zero when someone gives a numerical comparison that makes something look impressive but the base of the comparison is not stated.

These two categories under this topic were the two I really liked because I've I definitely relate to it.

For example, in subject number 1:
Some great examples for this is about all those movies and greenpeace people about the world ending. Like a day after tomorrow, saying all this crazy weather is going to happen all at once and the world is going to be destroyed. While there is proof and science behind global warming effects it's not all going to happen all at once like that. Over certain periods of time we'll see changes like a rise in sea level or something or stronger hurricanes.


For example, in subject number 2:
We were house hunting with our real estate agent and he talking about this house and how great it was. He started taking about how the schools around the area are great and then how the house is like 5,200 sq ft with 5 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bathrooms. It was in okay condition with some work needed and how it was worth it for 520,000. But after calculating everything with the closing cost, interest, and a whole bunch of other percentages it came to a total out of our budget. Basically,I like to think this as sugar coating the information but leaving the important details out for you to later figure out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I liked both of your examples for misleading claims with numbers. The second example you used particularly struck a cord with me because I am in the process of moving and you deal with stuff like home owners association fees, etc..... Plus 5,200 feet sounds like a killer deal for 520,000, even with the add on fees. But yeah anyways I hate how things are advertised at a certain price but they always throw stuff on top so if you have a budget at a certain amount you'd have to make sure to buy something a few thousand less than what they are advertising to afford the final product, which stinks...

    ReplyDelete