Friday, August 6, 2010

Group activity

So for the group activity I had 3 family members read over and discuss the second assignment. I gave them the criteria sheet as well and it did't really help because they didn't have much to discuss with me. I told them to read the criteria and highlight if all the points were there and if everything look good or if they thought something was not right. From the dicussion they pretty much said everything looked good, maybe some more examples and a few grammer errors but thats it. Given the fact that these 3 family members graduated college like 10 to 15 years ago, it might be the reason they didn't have a lot to input. Plus I think our material things might be different from what there used, but thats just my thought. All in all, they thought our group did a good job on our assignment and didn't have much input.

2 comments:

  1. It's difficult to critique an argument if you haven't seen what it's about. All you can do is check the logic presented and point out nit-picky spelling and grammar errors. So, it sounds like your group did well. If your comments were slanted one way or the other, it might be there there was little to praise or fault about the website you used. So, it might or might not be that your group presented a slanted viewpoint.

    I found writing about this experience to be very difficult. My discussion group also had few comments. During the discussion, I felt really put on the spot. Even though I was able to bring it up in the context of an on-going conversation, it seemed really artifical and awkward to do.

    I understand that having people review what you have written can be helpful. In fact, I do it every day. I think the difficulty was that this was asking for input on something in which they had no investment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah I totally understand. I mean, unless you have taken a Critical Thinking class recently, you are not really going to know the textbook definitions for certain fallacies and vocab words. I have covered fallacies in other classes, but I never remember them until a teacher wants me to learn them again. Basically I cram for a test, get that grade I wanted, and then it kind of disappears from my head. It is sort of a cycle, but hopefully that will not happen again. Lol. We could probably write anything and someone, somewhere would believe if we made it sound logical enough.

    ReplyDelete