Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Advertising on the Internet.



The advertisement I choose was the Got Milk? ad with David Beckham. In chapter 5 sections a and b, it explains about evaluating premises and the criteria for accepting or rejecting claims. There are three choices we can make about whether to believe a claim:
- Accept the claim as true.
- Reject the claim as false.
- Suspend judgement.

The first thing that one notices in this ad is that they have David Beckham, a famous soccer player. He fits this ad perfectly because millions of people know who he is, he's known for his soccer and good looks. The ad contains information about studies done with milk has many great benefits for the body and that therefore should start drinking it or more often at least. The mix of David Beckham and the information make this very appealing and true.

After reading chapter I believe this ad/claim is acceptable because:
- We can trust accept a claim made by someone we know and trust who is an authority on this kind of claim.
- We know the claim is true from our own experience.
- The claim is made by a reputable authority whom we can trust as an expert about this kind kind of claim.

I've been to doctors and they always tell me drinking milk benefits the body in many ways and that I should make it part of my daily diet. The ad states that studies have shown that this is true and they also have David Beckham who's representing that ad. This makes the ad really reliable and true.

8 comments:

  1. This may be true that milk is good for our body. But some people that look at this ad may not be drinking milk because of how good it is for them. Some people will see this add and have an idea that if they drink milk, then they might look like David Beckham.

    Also, the advertisers were clever to use this famous soccer player to sell their product. I agree with you when they made a right choice to pick this famous player. By drinking milk, it would help you gain strong bones but also make you stronger just like David Beckham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an interesting post to read because like beaver4973 stated, the article is somewhat misleading with using Beckham as a model for what one might look like if they drink milk. Also the part about studies showing that milk will make one look leaner and look great is also misleading because of the context in which it is used. It is implying that if you drink milk you will look great and become leaner. It doesn't factor in exercise or good hygiene as contributing factors. But the claim that milk is beneficial towards one's self is a true statement as it is a scientific fact. So it was an interesting to view and read as it got me thinking about the intricacies going on in this advertisement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I just reread the advertisement, it does say to be active (its so small to read). =p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being a soccer fan, I didn't recognize Beckham although I do recognize the name. In spite of this, he shows projects the kind of energy and health that many may want for their husbands or children.

    Do I accept him as an expert on milk? NO. What does he know about milk? There is no indication he's had any background in how it affects physiology or stamina.

    I do accept him as an example of what may develop if one drinks milk and exercies - this is in spite of the fact that Beckham never says he drank milk in the ad (at least what I could see).

    This is an ad that could sell a lot of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In looking at the advertisement, I did not know that it was a soccer player that was advertising for the Got Milk; but nonetheless this advertisement is attracted to help others drink milk on a daily basis. This ad claims that drinking milk, it will help your body be much stronger. As people would always say, a picture is worth a thousand words. With this picture, this claim also convinces that milk and exercise will help make yourself much healthier later on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this advirtisement before, and first thing that came to mind the first time I saw it was, that I was not surprised, it was bound for got milk? to use such a popular and worldwide soccer player for their advertisements. He sells, bottom line.
    When I look at this advirtisement and glance at what it states, it does imply factual information, and the line I felt that does help me to accept its claim is, "Goal by Beckham. Body by milk." It is showing that Beckham is able to go for the goal and look good by drinking milk or consuming some amount of calcium on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right after I posted my comment here, I realized I spelled advertisement wrong. I apologize about that.

    Great choice for the ad by the way : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your advertisement example. I think many people nowadays are caught up with how one should portray themselves because of media. By looking at this ad, I think many boys and girls get sucked in because everyone knows David Beckham and they often look up to him as a role model. But I honestly think that this is misleading information just because IF someone drinks milk, they can look as cut and lean as David Beckham. Media has done a lot of damage on self image because I noticed that they would only pick someone who is either famous, good looking, or buff to be on an ad. But nevertheless, good choice for the ad! I loved reading your post.

    ReplyDelete